I am a professional with skills and experience in Social development, regional Peace building and Journalism . I have more than almost ten years of work experience in the private, governmental and non governmental and the media sectors.
Having lived in countries in Asia, Austral Asia and America I am academically, a Biology graduate (BSc)from the University of, Hawaii, United States of America and a scholarship holder to the University of Delhi India. I am presently reading for my final years of Master in Arts (MA) program at Open University of Sri Lanka on Development & Publics Policy.
INGO & NGO Work Experience
• Currently, I am working as a Consultant for Maldives Pest & Agricultural Services Pvt Ltd, Male, The Maldives based in Sri Lanka . Iam a Global Free lance Journalist/ Photographer on travel & regional development .Currently I contribute features to Daily Mirror & Sunday Observer, Daily News(Sri Lankan ) and Hindu Business Line of India news papers
• I worked for National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (INGO) (www.ndi.org ) as its Senior Program Officer for Southern Province . I also worked as a Coordinator /Research Fellow attached to the Marga Institute- Sri Lanka Centre For Development Studies a joint projectof Marga and Asia Foundation on Policy Dialogues on Development Democracy and Peace (http://www.margasrilanka.org/newprojects.html) in the Eastern Province
• After I returned from the Maldives I worked for 2 ½ years as a Senior Programme Coordinator /Senior Professional and as a Regional Advisor for International Alert an INGO (http://www.international-alert.org/sri_lanka/index.php, ) in their Colombo Office. I was assigned with a task of setting up of an organization the Business for Peace Alliance (BPA) a network of 24 regional business chambers within a year (http://www.bpa-srilanka.com/) which I established to the satisfaction of my orgainzation.
• I was able to contribute immensely to One Text Initiative (OTI )Sri Lanka – (A multiple political party dialogues process) (http://onetext.org/).and for Foundation for Coexistence (FCE) ( http://www.fce.lk/index.aspx.) on specific projects explaining the Sri Lankan Conflict History to the youth in the Regions
• During my working career I worked with policy makers (Members of Parliament) the Government, opposition and the three peace secretariats the Government Peace Secretariat ( SCOPP) (http://www.peaceinsrilanka.org/, ) Muslim Peace Secretariats (MPS) and the LTTE Peace Secretariat(http://www.ltteps.org/), the donor community, Regional business chambers of commerce, with Local governments authorities in regions and with youth at grass root level on conflict transformation projects and traveled tirelessly within the country.
Work Experience Overseas (Private Sector)
• I worked two years in the Maldives private sector and was attached to Kaimoo Travels & Hotels & Resort Pvt Ltd, (http://www.kaimoo.com/contact.htm ).I was its Senior Manager -Business Development & Planning to popularize Agro chemicals & Pesticides and providing pest control solutions to the Maldivian islanders in several islands sited in different Atolls ( groups of Islands) .
Career at Presidential Secretariat Colombo
Prior to my assignment in the Maldives, at a very young age I was a Publications Assistant to Her Excellency the President Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumaratunga (Former President of Sri Lanka) at the Presidential Secretariat, Colombo handling media relations and community event planning. (http://www.priu.gov.lk/)
Global Freelance Journalist
I am a South Asian regional development expert. A regular commentator on the Maldives, South Africa, Pakistan, Bangladesh and about Sri Lanka and have published more than forty news paper features .I have also written features on rural women empowerment and food technology with Canadian born freelance writers, Jessica Harris and Chris Probert. Most of my writings on the Maldives were written with freelance writer from Maldives, (Abdul Hafeez). These Maldivian writings were greatly appreciated by the former president of Maldives, Maumoon Abdul Gayoom and the current president His Excellency Mohamed Nasheed. To my credit I have published more than seven news paper features on the Maldives.
I was further appreciated by His Excellency the President Jacob Zuma for writings on South Africa (SA). Also the writing about the SA was valued by the Mandela Foundation and by His Excellency Former President Nelson Mandela. In recent times Hon Prime Minister David Cameron of the United Kingdom appreciated me .
I have built an reputation as a international freelance journalist who travels tirelessly and writes the positive side of a region or a country. I regularly contributes features to English, Sinhala and Tamil language news papers( blog : http://srimalfernando.wordpress.com).
Journeys on Car, Bus train and Air
I always take my own car on road trips and covered all 25 districts in Sri Lanka.and include more than 40, 000 km .Also I have traveled to many Atolls and Islands by Dhonies, speed boats and Sea planes. Most of my journeys is by train or bus specially in India. I have traveled by air to Asia, Austral Asia and America